Frequently Asked Questions
Don’t forget your face mask!
Can you buy Tram tickets online?
- Yes, you will NEED to purchase your Tram tickets online before arriving! This ticket will still need to be redeemed upon arrival so keep it handy. Additionally, REFUNDS for Tram tickets are ONLY available for weather closures. Don’t forget, tickets sold online can always be used another time if you were not able to use them the day you had planned.
What enhanced cleaning measures have been added at the Tram?
- We have taken the time to implement COVID-Safe Practices for our guests and our staff in accordance with New Mexico State, CDC and OSHA guidelines. Please review these guidelines below to help us maintain our COVID-Safe Practices at Sandia Peak. Be sure to bring your mask!
How does the Tram work?
- There are two Tram cars and they run every 15-30 minutes, they DO NOT run on a timed schedule. Once you board, its a 15 minute ride to the peak (upper terminal), where you will need to get off and can enjoy the views, go hiking, check out the TEN 3 restaurant, see the visitor’s center and go skiing in the winter. You will then get back in line to board a tram car to come back down, another 15 minute flight to the lower terminal. Don’t forget to grab a souvenir in the Sandia Gift Shop before you leave!
What are the busiest times of year?
- The summer months are the busiest months but we will see additional spikes in business during the following times: Balloon Fiesta week, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day weekend, Labor Day weekend and Fourth of July.
How long can you stay at the top?
- You can spend as much time at the top as you would like, just be sure to take the last Tram car down.
What are the temperatures?
- The temperature at the peak tends to be 15-30 degrees cooler than the temperatures in the city of Albuquerque. The upper terminal of the Tram and TEN 3 are located at 10,378 and in the mountains, temperatures can change quickly. Always come prepared with a light jacket, closed toed shoes, water and snacks.
Can wheelchairs and walkers fit on the Tram car?
- The lower terminal, Tram cars, walkways and upper terminal are all accessible by wheelchair and walker.
Can the visually impaired enjoy the Tram?
- Sight-impaired visitors can still enjoy the tram ride as the Cabin Operator will speak in detail about the mountain, rock formations, types of vegetation and animals as you travel the 2.7 miles up the mountain.
What holidays does the Tram open for?
- The Tram will follow an abbreviated schedule (typically 9 am till 4 pm) for Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day, but as long as weather permits, we are open for all holidays.
Are there any additional fees?
- There is a $3 grounds fee. It will automatically be added to your online ticket purchase.
June 22, 2020- Due to COVID-19, Sandia Peak Tramway and Ten 3 have made the difficult decision to close down to help prevent any potential spread. We will continue to make updates on our site as they occur. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Sandia Peak Tram
WEDNESDAY – MONDAY
9:00am – 8:00pm
9:00am – 9:00pm
**The tram will continue to run downhill traffic past closing time to bring guests and staff off the mountain.
Sandia Peak Ski Area
Closed for the 2019/2020 ski season.
Ten 3 Restaurant
11:00am – 10:30pm
5:00pm – 10:30pm
Sandia Peak Tramway is open year-round but is closed for two weeks in April and November for maintenance. View Schedule
Ten 3 hours will change to coincide with the tram winter and summer schedule.
Friday of Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Monday
Tuesday after Labor Day through Memorial Day weekend
Directions & Parking
SANDIA PEAK TRAMWAY
30 TRAMWAY RD ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87122
TRAM INFO: 505-856-7325 or 505-856-1532
There is a cash-only parking fee of $3 for each vehicle accessing the Sandia Peak Tramway at the base of the mountain.
SANDIA PEAK SKI AREA
SANDIA PARK, NM 87047
SKI AREA INFO: 505-242-9052
NEED A RIDE?
Get here with TRAMSporter!
The ABQ Trolley Co. Offers rides from several downtoan ABQ hotels to our front door. This service is provided May 1 – September 30 only.
Visit tourabq.com/tramsporter for info.
The Sandia Peak Tramway and the deck areas atop the tram are all wheelchair accessible.
For our guests who are hearing-impaired you can still enjoy the incredible views from the tram car and the observation deck. Additionally, there are displays in the upper terminal that have information about the mountain, rock formations, types of vegetation and animals that can be spotted in the Sandia Mountains.
Sight-impaired visitors can still enjoy the tram ride as the Cabin Operator will speak in detail about the mountain, rock formations, types of vegetation and animals as you travel the 2.7 miles up the mountain.
Service animals (as defined by the US Department of Justice) are permitted on the tramway. All other pets are not allowed on the tramway.
Strollers are permitted on the tram and the observation deck/ walkways of the upper terminal.