Our commitment: During this difficult time, we are committed to the health and safety of our guests, employees and our community while continuing to honor our passion and excitement for skiing and snowboarding. Friendly staff, amazing snow and a one of a kind day in the mountains is what we will continue delivering to our guests every single day. In addition, we are committed to providing a clean, socially distanced and COVID responsible environment for you, your family and friends. This winter will truly be unique as nearly all aspects of your visit to Sandia Peak Ski Area will be different from prior seasons. Please read through our Winter Operations Plan for the 2020-2021 season and become part of our mission to help ensure great skiing and boarding will be possible from opening day until the first days of spring!
COVID Safe Practices
All of our team’s efforts have been focused on providing the best opportunity for us to ski and ride safely during this pandemic. We have been working with the other New Mexico ski areas, our National Ski Areas Association and our State Government to develop COVID Safe Practices (CSP’s) specifically for Ski Areas. The CSPs provide the government mandated frame work for how we will operate during the pandemic. The full CSPs can be found here: All Together New Mexico. Please find ski area specific COVID-safe practices at the bottom of this page.
Sandia Peak Ski Area is New Mexico Safe Certified in Ski Areas, All Employers, Retail, Restaurant, and Tour Operator and will adhere to those COVID Safe Practices.
Visiting from another state? Please respect the State-Mandated 14-day quarantine for travelers coming into New Mexico.
COVID Safe Winter Operations Plan
- Face coverings are required at all times including skiing or riding with the exception of while eating or drinking.
- 6 foot social distancing will be required and encouraged wherever possible
- Information notifying guests to stay at home if they are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms are posted on Sandia Peak Ski Area’s website and throughout the ski area.
- Employees will be screened daily for COVID 19 symptoms. Those with symptoms will be asked to stay home or will be sent home and will be directed to take a test or self- quarantine for 14 days.
- Sandia Peak will implement and maintain COVID-19 surveillance testing and contact tracing program for all active ski area employees as required by the Ski Area COVID Safe Practices set by the State.
- Employees who have had a known close contact to a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19 will not return to work until authorized by the Department of Health.
- 100% of Sandia Peaks active employees will be tested for COVID 19 every 2 weeks.
- Hand washing and hand sanitizer stations will be readily available throughout the ski
- All indoor spaces will be cleaned and sanitized 3 times daily.
- High touch areas will be cleaned and sanitized every 2 hours.
- Sandia Peak Ski Area and its staff will encourage all guests to read and comply with the current New Mexico Public Health Order including abiding by the 14 day out of state travel quarantine prior to coming to Sandia Peak Ski Area. The current travel restrictions will be posted on our home page and in various visible locations in our base area.
- Sandia Peak Ski Area will adhere to all CDC and OSHA
- Day Lockers will not be available. Come prepared to ski or ride and use your car as your locker.
- There will be NO special events or live music at Sandia Peak Ski Area this season.
- Plexiglass guards will be installed in areas where close contact between guests and staff are likely.
The cornerstone of the Ski Area CSPs are a reduction in total guest capacity. All New Mexico ski areas are required to operate at 25% of their daily operational uphill lift capacity. This simply means that the daily guest capacity will be limited to 25% of the lifts operating daily and may also vary depending on how much of the mountain’s ski trails are open. The 25% established by the CSP’s is the maximum allowed, however Sandia Peak Ski Area may operate at a lower capacity based on uphill operational lift capacity, available ski terrain, adverse weather conditions adverse weather conditions and other factors. The daily capacity will be posted on our website and at the ski area.
The daily capacity will be calculated using the following established lift capacities:
|Chairlift||100% (people)||25% (people)|
|Lift 2: Double||800||200|
|Lift 3 : Double||949||237|
|Lift 4: Double||750||189|
Based on historical visitation we expect that most weekends and all holidays will sell out. We ask that non-skiers or boarders please stay home. Our indoor dining and lodge space will be limited or unavailable when our county is in the red.
All publicly accessible indoor spaces including the Rental Shop, Restrooms, Sports Shop will be limited to the 25% occupancy limit allowed under the current Public Health Order.
Indoor dining will not be available, and outdoor dining will adhere to the 25% maximum occupancy limits and seating restrictions for restaurants in the Public Health Order.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO! YOU MUST PURCHASE A LIFT TICKET OR OnePass ACTIVATION PRIOR TO COMING UP THE MOUNTAIN.
Sandia Peak Ski Area will control capacity and access via online sales and reservations. All OnePass activations, lift tickets and ski school packages will be available online only. This will allow us to be confident that we are operating at or under our allowable daily capacity. If you don’t have a ticket or active OnePass please stay home!
Daily Lift Tickets will be available online only and may be purchased beginning Thursdays of the upcoming weekend and will be available day of, if capacity allows. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS ONCE YOU PURCHASE YOUR TICKET.
Daily lift ticket prices and purchase options can be found here. Once you arrive at the mountain, take your e-receipt to the main ticket office to receive you lift ticket. Those who have pre-purchased rentals and/or lesson packages should go to the Rental Shop FIRST to redeem daily lift tickets, rentals and the lesson voucher.
OnePass and Peak Plus Card holders will purchase their tickets online and MUST present their OnePass or Peak Plus Card at the ticket window, along with their E Receipt to redeem a daily lift ticket. If you are interested in purchasing a Peak Plus Card to save $25 on daily lift tickets, visit www.skisantafe.com.
Group reservations will not be accepted at this time.
Waiting in line and riding the lift will be a bit different this season but we will still get you where you want to go! Here are the changes that will allow us all to have a safe and socially distanced lift ride:
- Guests and staff are required to wear a face covering anytime while on the premises including the lift line, riding the lift and while skiing or boarding down the mountain.
- Lift lines and mazes will be marked with signs for 6 foot separation front and back (tip to tail). Lines will be separated side to side by 6 foot empty “ghost” lanes.
- Guests traveling together may ride the lift together.
- Family members may ride the lift together.
- Guests skiing or boarding alone should ride the lift alone.
- We ask all guests to present their ticket or pass for checking at arms-length. Take the time to make your pass or ticket easily accessible.
- Do not bunch or gather in groups before getting in the lift line. If you need to wait for others in your party, do it uphill and away from the lift maze.
- Once at the top, clear the lift unloading zone, maintain social distancing and head towards your favorite run.
Any trip to Sandia Peak Ski Area begins and ends with driving and then parking, and maybe then a ride in one of our shuttles. Here is what you need to know when you arrive:
- Follow parking attendants’ instructions as we will utilize all of our lots to support social distancing in our parking lots.
- Maintain social distancing while in the parking lots and wear a face covering.
- Come prepared to ski and use your car as your locker. No day lockers are available.
- Our open-air shuttle trailers will operate at 1/3 capacity or around 20 guests.
- Our open-air shuttle trailer will follow the Tour Operator CSPs.
Our Ticketing and Skier service staff are ready to redeem your e-receipts, help with pass issues and answer any questions you have. Below are what you need to know to redeem your e-receipt and get on the slopes quickly and safely.
- Have your e-receipt and bar code ready for scanning before you get to the ticket window. WIFI will be available inside and out. PRO TIP: screen shot your bar code before you come to the mountain.
- While in line maintain 6-foot social distancing, follow the signage directions and always wear your face covering.
- The main outdoor ticket offices will have every other window open and will use maze gating and signage to support social distancing.
We look forward to getting you in the right gear to get you on the mountain fast. We have a few changes this season so read below and come prepared.
- While in line maintain social distance, follow the signage directions and always wear your face covering.
- The entire rental process will be socially distanced. Indoor boot fitting will be limited, be prepared to change into your ski or snowboard boots outside. Our rental equipment specialists will be there to help you get the right fit.
- Indoor day lockers will not be available.
- Rental equipment will be sanitized daily.
We love teaching skiing and boarding to those new to the mountain or those seeking to improve their skills. We will have some changes in our offerings, but our expert and friendly instructors will be there to help ensure you have a great day on the mountain.
- Purchase your ski school packages and daily lift ticket online before you come.
- Purchase Cubby Corner packages and daily lift ticket online before you come.
- For Private lessons, purchase your daily lift ticket online then call 505-242-9052 to reserve the Private lesson.
- Ski School and Cubby Corner group lessons will be limited to 4 plus the instructor in compliance with the Public Health order limiting mass gatherings.
- All Ski School and Cubby Corner packages will be ½ day only and do not include lunch supervision.
- Have your e-receipt and bar code ready for scanning before you get to the Ski School and Cubby Corner cashier. WIFI will be available inside and out. PRO TIP: screen shot your bar code before you come to the mountain.
- While in line maintain social distancing, follow the signage directions and always wear your face covering.
- Classes will not intermingle with other classes.
- We are required to record all students’ names, date of instruction, time of training, and contact information.
- Groups that have students not in a traveling party or same family will not ride the lift together.
We all love a green chili burger and a hot coco on a cold day. While our seating and service areas will be different, you will still be able to enjoy a great meal this season.
Our Food and Beverage Operation will adhere to the CSPs for Restaurants and the maximum occupancy limits and seating restrictions as set forth in the current Public Health Order.
All food service will adhere to the CSP’s for Restaurants.
- Guests are required to wear masks when entering, leaving, or moving through the facilities at all times except when eating and drinking while seated.
- We will not have self-service stations available for fountain drinks, coffee, utensils, and condiments. Single use utensils and condiments will be provided with your meal or drink when ordered or picked up.
- All tables are limited to 6 guests and all tables must be spaced 6 feet apart. Please do not move the tables or chairs. Guests may only eat or drink while seated at their table.
- All food and beverage facilities will be closed by 5pm daily.
- Pets (other than service animals) will not be allowed in any eating area including indoor space, outdoor patios and tent areas.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available at entries and exits and other areas throughout the ski area.
- All food service team members will be certified in safe food handling practices and a food safe certified manager will be present.
- Indoor tables will be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
- Outdoor tables will be cleaned and sanitized 3 times per day.
- Double Eagle Cafe will adhere to the Indoor Dining CSPs.
- Guests are encouraged to use the outdoor seating.
- Indoor seating is prohibited. Outdoor seating will be limited to 25%, no more than 6 guests per table and tables will be spaced 6-feet apart. Please refrain from moving any tables or chairs.
- Guests who choose to purchase food from an indoor location must provide name, phone number, and email as is required by the State of New Mexico contact tracing program.
- Guests who choose to purchase food from an indoor location will be screened and must answer the State required COVID questionnaire. Guests who report symptoms or answer yes to any of the questions will be denied service and asked to leave the ski area.
- Food brought from home or other outside sources may not be brought into/or consumed within Sandia Peak Ski Area’s indoor facilities.
- Indoor seating areas will be prohibited under the RED category and will be limited to Café patrons only during Yellow.
- Indoor seating areas will not be available for changing of clothes or boots.
- No bags will be allowed to be left indoors. Any articles left within the facilities at Sandia Peak Ski Area will be removed to the lost and found located at the bottom of the indoor stairs opposite the restrooms.
- In the event of severe weather, a portion of the indoor dining (when in use) many be discontinued to allow for the dining area to be used as a warming area while guests await transportation to leave the ski area.
- The Sport Shop will be limited to the maximum occupancy limits per the Public Health Order which is currently 25%.
- While in the store maintain social distance, follow the signage directions and always wear your face covering.
- Hand sanitizer will be required before and after trying on gloves.
- Those areas not already covered in the Winter Operations plan will adhere to the CSPs for Retail and will be limited to 25% occupancy. Entries and Exists will be monitored and metered to adhere to the capacity limitations.
- Day Lockers will not be available. Come prepared to ski and use your car as your locker.
- Restrooms will be cleaned and sanitized every 2 hours.
The Sandia Peak Ski Patrol will continue to provide the highest standard of quality care to all of our guests. Our patrol team is a highly qualified group of professionals. Beyond their normal professional skills, all are trained on the current COVID Safe Practices and CDC PPE procedures.
- If a patroller is providing you care, ensure to keep your face covering on at all times unless the medical provider requests you remove it.
- For altitude and non-emergent related illness, consider heading down the mountain for the day and leaving the limited bed space available open for others in need.
- If you are experiencing COVID like symptoms and do not have an emergent issue we will urge you to seek definitive care at a hospital, and will ask that you leave the ski area.
- If you are treated by ski patrol, we will collect your contact information and follow-up after 3-5 days to see if you or anyone from your travelling party has COVID-like symptoms, or we ask that you contact us if such symptoms arise.